Old February 26th 20, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default LiFePo Refit Part 23 AC

Shaun Wheeler wrote on 2/26/2020 6:55 AM:
SLA needs replacement and aircraft is part 23 utility. A LiFePo in the same foot print would be great, I definitely see folks using them and no less than three online stores selling them.

So I started looking at AC 20-184 which seems to be the FAA equivalent of trial by ordeal. Okay, I get it. They aren't quite as proven as SLA and a few have self immolated.

I've found at least a couple of EASA approvals that are sailplane specific but nothing that satisfies the lengthy list of hurdles the FSDO would likely accept.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Am I overthinking this?

What is the aircraft that needs the battery? None of the gliders I've had
specified the chemistry of the instrument battery, and those were all easily
removable, suggesting they are "portable" units and not part of the aircraft.