Old November 26th 19, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default How did you install your FLARM brick and/or ADS-B Out?

On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 9:24:20 PM UTC-8, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 7:31:50 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 10:17:18 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Is it powered direct or by another instrument?
Did you install a dedicated fuse?
Did you install a dedicated off/on switch or is it slaved?
Do you use a dedicated GPS antennae or split with another instrument.
Do you ever have the in-flight need to turn it off?
If you have both, why would you fly with one on and not the other?
If necessary, how is the Trig -2X and the TN-72 software updated?

Thanks for your reply.

I refuse to install flarm, because I consider that company to be actively obstructing the adoption of adsb in gliders, by diverting money better spent on adsb, and by not allowing flarm traffic displays to accept non-flarm-format inputs. My glider has a Trig 22 and TN72 and a scout adsb-in sending data to the foreflight on my kneepad iphone.

Yes the evil anti-ADS-B company that developed an ADS-B In product largely for the USA market? And worked to get that ADS-B In support shipped as standard in the USA? And that many hundreds of gliders pilots in the USA have adopted, increasingly alongside 1090ES Out in their gliders.

Please let us all know what exact display manufacturers is being prevented doing anything by FLARM. That's gotta violate a bunch of laws in the USA and Europe. One example will do. The whole global gliding community will owe you a deep favor for uncovering this horrible and illegal business practice.

And your traffic display used with ADS-B In works great in glider on glider situations? Like thermalling? Maybe you could post a video online of it working. Lots of people have hoped for an ADS-B solution that could do that and not been able to find it, but wow you have! That is fantastic! And all my use of Foreflight with ADS-B In I can't get close to working out how you would do this. Waiting to be wowed....

Darryl,
My comment was based on my frustration in that I can buy a Scout adsb-in receiver for $200, but have no sunlight-readable display to use with it. My iphone is not bright enough. The nice bright traffic displays only accept flarm-format data. Regarding your other point about adsb not being suitable for collision avoidance in a thermal: I agree, but neither is flarm. I do believe that the future (in the USA) lies with adsb, and on that basis I'd argue that money spent on flarm is money diverted from being better spent on adsb.