Old February 24th 05, 05:48 PM

Default Parachutes again

I received about a week ago 2 parachutes for repack. Nothing special
about it. But in this particular case they require special attention.
The first was made by Security Parachute Co. from San Leandro in
California. The second is a Original Softie fitted with 1965 Pioneer 4
line canopy. Now...the Security 150 was manufactured in May of 1978.
When I opened it I discovered pilot chute in very poor shape. According
to the manual the pilot chute spring should have 30 pounds of force.
Measured 15 lbs. Stitching coming apart. Then I concentrated on the
canopy...it looked O'K visually but it did not passed the acid test.
Since the system was repacked only 7 times since new, the rubber stows
holding your lines in the container fused themselves to the canopy main
suspension lines. They can be cleaned though. But still....
Now, the second rig, Original Softie equipped with the 1965 Pioneer
canopy...I don't want to even talk about it. This canopy is only 1 year
younger then I am. And when I started inspecting it, I found little
holes around the seams. It is called stress. And it caused by constant
rubbing of your rig seams against the fabric.
If any one has a question about a Security parachute please contact
Allen Silver at Phone: 1-510-785-7070 =B7 Fax: 1-510-785-9213. This guy
closed the Security after the British bought it and he will tell you
that every single Security parachute needs to be retired or used as a
car cover. In addition Mr. Silver is operating rigging loft and he is a
former president of Parachute Industry Association.
The second case with the 1965 manufactured canopy is also very familiar
to us. The canopy is simply old, tired and needs to be discarded.
For a purpose of understanding, the PIA is divided on the life span of
parachutes. The National limits the life span of their systems to 15
years. Paraphernalia Softie limits theirs I believe to 20 years. I will
call Dan Tarasievitch later on to confirm that. PIA and Paragear
Equipment will not pack and service rigs older then 20 years. Why all
that? Well, there were some documented failures of parachutes older
then 20 years. I am not trying to convince any one of you but if you
have an interest in the subject matter you can contact PIA or Paragear
and talk to Paul Thompson. Paragear phone number is (847) 679-5905
Fax: (847) 679-8644. If you need to talk to Dan Tarasievitch with
Softie his phone number is 360-435-7220.
When anyone of you goes to maintenance shop for your annual inspection
your A&P tells you that you need this and that... you comply with it.
You don't go and fly your glider with a damaged spar because you think
your mechanic is screwing with you.
Now, the same is with parachute riggers. When we are repacking your
parachute we actually doing more then just the repack job. We are going
through every stitch, every line, every piece of webbing, we are
checking your parachute inside and out. And when we do pack it and put
our individual seal on it and then signed it with our name and license
number, we are assuring you that your parachute is airworthy for next
120 days and if needed during that time frame it will work properly.
Also, I was told by a few pilots that they are using parachutes as a
cushions in a glider. This is illegal and if any FAA inspector catches
you, they will suspend your license for whatever time frame. Besides
not being legal it is also stupid. You are lying to yourself.
Any way, I don't sell parachutes for a purpose of clarification, I can
get some parts to keep them airworthy just like your A&P would to keep
your glider flying. But go and get yourselves a new(wer) rig made by
Softie, Strong or National.