Old July 9th 05, 09:00 AM
Eunometic

I think conversions of gasoline based internal combustion engine
turbochargers to gas turbines are not that uncommon. I saw a Sydney
University student do it for his thesis once.

An issue with diesel turbochargers is that they may be made of alloys
less heat and corrosion resistent than that of gasoline ones since the
diesel cycle has a much lower exhaust temperature (550C) than a
gasoline engine (850C). This should effect life iof the turbocharger.
Many automotive turbo's are now ceramic based.

I believe the turbochargers of diesel trucks such as SAAB and Volvo and
other European types are turbocompounded have for many years had a
hydraulic torque coupling to put surplus power not needed for the
compressor back into the drive shaft.