Old September 24th 06, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

Default Best place for CG along roll axis

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

After constantly struggling with a heavy nose in several aircraft it
occurred to me that having a fat pilot in front and nothing else was
moving the CG forward. I put some weight in back and moved the CG
further back over the wings, and handling improved greatly. Is there
a way (other than consulting a manual each time) to determine exactly
where over the wing is the best place for the CG? MSFS is kind enough
to show me a diagram with the current CG marked, but I don't know how
far back I should try to place it.

Does MSFS let you set the weight of the pilot? That's kinda neat. I wish I
could do the same in real life!

The diagram you see probably represents the CG envelope, which is what most
pilots use too. As long as you're in the envelope, you're safe. Front side of
the envelope is more stable, rear side is less stable. Think of an arrow - if
you weigh down the tip it will fly straighter, if you weigh down the feather
it will fly faster.

This is all basic flight training stuff. I would recommend the book "Stick
and Rudder" as a good starting place.