Old April 16th 05, 08:13 PM
Roger

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 21:58:57 +1200, "Cockpit Colin"
wrote:

We pay around $1.10 per litre - doing a rough calc at the kiwi $ being 70 US
cents and 4 litres to a US gallon, we're paying the equivalent of $3.08 US
Dollars per US gallon - How does that compare to what you're paying?

When she was there in Feb. it was $5 US equivalent a gallon and we
were around $2.00 plus change. It spiked at $2.40 and is back to
$2.19.

Avgas varies widely, with the local price being $3.13 and a 20 mile
hop will bring you to $2.60. So, you are far closer than I thought.

Our local FBO has small tanks which are leased from the fuel company.
They wouldn't put in large ones as they said there wasn't enough
sales. Of course he has to pay a premium per gallon for less than a
full load and on top of that he has a flowage fee and taxes. The
other airport is county owned and operated. They have large tanks, no
extra tax or flowage fees.

Flying a bit farther to HTL they are even cheaper. Again, it's a
county owned system with large tanks.

OTOH go to some of the larger airports and it can be really expensive.
You can find major differences between FBOs on the same field.

We get a lot of English and Japanise students coming through - apparantly
we're about 1/3 the cost of what they pay over there (so they tell us).

When Joyce told me about the price of car gas I figured the other
prices would also be high and comparable to Europe.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

"Roger" wrote in message
.. .
On 14 Apr 2005 04:42:09 -0700, "Denny" wrote:

You just can't beat New Zealand

Well yeah, but you have to learn a new language...

And if car gas is any indicator, (It was well over twice what we pay
when Joyce was there in Feb.) it'd be far more expensive than in the
states.

However they are trying to cripple GA with paranoia and charging non
nationals extra fees and going through extra security checks. Other
than the hassle I'd bet this is still the cheapest by far. Of course
if you fly in the mid west you can fly hours and not see the scenery
change.

If the scenery changes you know you have either hit the Rocky
Mountains, Smoky Mountains, Gulf of Mexico, or Canada.