Old April 28th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default S-H safety harness (V2C)

TTaylor at cc.usu.edu wrote:
I think if you purchase most of the Schroth belts made with the fifth
point space you can convert it to six point without being concerned
about violating the FAI certification for a standard airworthiness
aircraft. The main part of the belt will carry the correct id. I
would do it that way if I was worried about airworthiness certificates.
In the experimental category you have a little more latitude to use
the FAI approved belts.

I have been reading this thread with interest.

I (part) own a Nimbus 2c and have experienced problems with the very
high attachment point of the shoulder straps resulting in smashing the
canopy with my head!

(See http://www.hart.wattle.id.au/alice/a...ce27jul02.html for
the details and photos)

Whilst a 5 (or 6) point harness will stop 'submarining' under the lap
strap (which hasn't appeared to be a problem) it does nothing for the
problem caused by having the attachment point of the harness so high (at
the shoulder level and only just behind the shoulder at that.

This position means that even with the straps cinched up tight, my upper
body can still lift considerably when I hit turbulence. In order to
avoid hitting the canopy hard, I must use a very prone seating position.

If anyone with a Nimbus 2 has found a way of overcoming the poor design
of the strap attachment points, I'd love to hear. We have searched for a
better solution in vain!

--
Robert Hart
+61 (0)438 385 533