Old April 30th 06, 06:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Default Question for the Turbine pilots.

He must be very new to turbines. Had to be more than a hot start, must
have been a fire. Hot start usually would just require inspection of the
burner can. Removing can and power turbine would probably be something a
mechanic could do on site in a few hours and ship to facilitate the
inspection. Moving the complete helicopter is a waste unless being
returned to seller as a warranty return. A simple hot start only
requires a flight test procedure and at the worst can be flown to a
repair facility with in reasonable distance.

"601XL Builder" wrDOTgiacona@coxDOTnet wrote in message
Well they yanked off the rotor blades and put the 206 on a truck so my
bet is he burnt up what could be burnt.

Steve R wrote:
OUCH! :-(

"B4RT" wrote in message
The indication of a hot start is when the TOT (turbine outlet temp)
runs away and goes far too high. Internally its casued when the
flameball does not form correctly as a result of too much fuel, too
high of a pre-existing temperature, or incorrect/sufficient airflow.
It requires an inspection and if he melted enough stuff it could
cost around $90,000.

Bart

"601XL Builder" wrDOTgiacona@coxDOTnet wrote in message
We have a doctor who just bought a 206 and after less than a month
the chopper has been sent for a new engine. I heard he had a "Hot
Start" and burned out the engine.

While I'm both fixed wing and helicopter certified I have zero
experience with jets so what did he do? And what's it gonna cost
him?