Old November 19th 07, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

Default Sears tools

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Ernest Christley" wrote

Dang-it! I bet you're right.

I noticed the batteries coming out of the new charger a lot warmer than
the came out of the old one. I bet I would still have decent batteries
if I had kept the old charger.

Perhaps you could stick a voltage regulator chip into the charger, or
experiment to find a resistor that would drop the voltage to a reasonable
level.
--
Jim in NC

The voltage regulator is the only correct solution, although I don't recall
the proper shut-off voltage. Ideally, the charger should provide a fairly
quick charging current and then shut off, or else drop to a couple of
milliamps when the fully charged voltage is reached.

IIRC, if the batteries are to last, the correct voltage varies with
temperature and should be controlled within about 0.1 volt. I don't recall
the correct voltage for a full charge, but 9.6 volts sounds like a stack of
8 nicad cells; so the figure of 11.6 volts sounds possible for some fairly
normal temperatures. However, that is a distant and somewhat foggy
memory--so it is only usefull as a starting point to search for the correct
numbers.

I hope this helps.

Peter