Old December 8th 15, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Volocopter - safest aircraft in the world

On Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 8:26:48 AM UTC-6, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
On Monday, December 7, 2015 at 12:04:51 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:

I also agree that newer battery technology is needed to make this
anything more than a high-priced toy, but then that's what our
gliders are, aren't they?

--

Dan, 5J

Did you see where the site mentioned they were looking at/working on a "hybrid"? Until battery energy density improves (a lot) they will add in a small generator to extend flight time.

I hate to break it to you all but the time when battery capacity will approach the density of carbon fuels will come - never. I read up on that subject and there are limits in the direct conversion of chemical energy into electricity (which is what batteries do) that indicate we are not so far away from those now. We may improve by a factor of 2 but that is not what is needed to make electric flight a x-country activity. It boils down to the physics that chemistry is based on - and we understand those laws very well.
Herb