Old May 10th 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default MoGas Tips, Tricks, Concerns, How To

: I do the 5 gallons up to the wing all the time on the 1960 172A. Good exercise and runs great. I put a old piece of
: carpet under the fuel jug and then tip it over and in to the tank. Only spilt a drop or two in 100 of gallons. See:
: http://www.eaa.org/education/fuel/index.html for all kinds of info. The engine runs fine winter and summer. I do put in
: a little 100LL on occasion and when XC...

If you do that, I'd be very careful to figure out a way to ground it. Plastic
cans on a piece of plastic fuzz carpet will insulate the can from the plane and let a
charge build up. Remember that flowing fuel *GENERATES* static electricity as it
pours. I've seen some impressive demonstrations of how much charge can be built up.
It was a 1" spark generated every 1-2 seconds just from flowing water.

That's what I consider to be another advantage of my filter-in-the-spout
setup. The 6-8" long-tall object screwed onto the spout is made of metal. Before I
get the spout near the fuel tank hole and as I start to tip it over to pour, I grab
the metal spout and touch the airframe elsewhere. I do that religiously each and
every time I pour anything into the tank. If there is any static, it'll dissipate
through me to the airframe and put both the spout and the airframe at the same
potential. I could rig up a wire to do the same, but as long as I never forget this
is just as good and more convenient.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA *
* Electrical Engineering *