Old September 13th 11, 08:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morteza Ansari

Default Transponder: Mode-C or Mode-S?

On Sep 12, 11:17*pm, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Sep 12, 11:55*pm, John Smith wrote:

Just be aware that the TT21 is a class 2 tansponder, i.e. not certified
for use above 15,000 feet, and therefore not suited for gliders. Buy the
TT22 instead which is class 1.

To date I've had 392 flights in gliders. I flew above 15,000 ft on a
flight on 17 Jan 1995 (in fact to 19,000 or so).

That's the ONLY time.

Most flights here don't go much above 5000 or 6000 ft. Even when
there's wave it's unusual to be able to get higher than maybe 12,000.

Your conditions are not the same as everyone's.

I know what you mean. I had never gotten higher than 6K until I moved
to CA and started flying in the Sierras! Around here flying over 15K
is pretty routine. However, in my last glider I had a Becker 4401
which is also class 2 and I never had a problem. As a matter of fact
out of all the gliders in the Sierras, I would bet majority are using
class 2 transponders.

Cheers,
Morteza