Old September 13th 11, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Transponder: Mode-C or Mode-S?

Andy wrote:

The TT22 draws about 20 percent more power when transmitting than the
TT21. It's not a lot, but with PowerFlarm going in to my panel as well
I will end up with a 1.5 amp total current requirement, so I figure
every milliamp is worth saving. It seems odd to me that Trig didn't
design with the Class A floor as the break point between design
specs. Then again...

9B

The 15,000 feet "limit" comes from wording in the relevant FAA TSO and
ultimately the RTCA standards. That the level was not set to FL180 is
kind of unfortunate. And I expect Trig folks would say the same thing.
But then this all goes back to days of traveling wave tubes and much
different technology and reliability/power output/cooling issues/cost
factors.

Darryl