Old June 8th 15, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Default Jet turbine reliability

Am Montag, 8. Juni 2015 14:25:59 UTC+2 schrieb Bruce Hoult:
On Saturday, June 6, 2015 at 8:04:07 AM UTC+3, wrote:
I've been working on the jet glider concept for over 10 years.

I find it interesting to compare against this post I made on rocket engine launch, just over 15 years ago!

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!or...I/r3mTaAhMSDcJ

Yes if one engine makes a turbo, two make a self launch and two are better than one even if the installation is a little more difficult. As a slight bonus two Titans of 400N each are in fact cheaper than one Nike of 800N thrust from the same manufacturer.

There, I worked out that 50 kgf (490 N) was not enough for adequate launch performance, but 100 kgf (980 N) looked pretty nice. 160 kg (1570 N) would be nice if you could get it, but much over that starts to make everything just happen waaay too fast.

So your 400 N and 800 N are in the same ballpark I worked out waaay back when.

For a piston engine, static thrust in daN is about 2x installed horsepower.
My Ventus cM has 30 hp, and 60 daN is on the low side for takeoff (I know what I'm talking about...). The V2CM and DG800 have 50 hp installed, and from watching them taking off I'd think that 100 daN is on the generous side.

A also was thinking along the lines of Mike Borgelt that in case my Solo engine died on me, two Titan engines would be a nice fit. Space would not be a problem; tank capacity would probably be limited by max mass of no-lifting parts.

Bert TW