Old December 7th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Natalie

Default IFR Cancellation Question

A Lieberma wrote:

Queston one: I never was cleared for the visual which caught me off
guard on my forth line, and since it was severe clear, I figured go ahead
and cancel my IFR thus negating my need for the visual clearance. No
biggie, but shouldn't I have been cleared for the visual before radar
services are terminated?

There seems to be a disconnect as you have noticed. This is not the
way to handle visual approaches for IFR. While "Radar Services
Terminated" doesn't imply IFR cancellation, the squawk VFR would
lead me to wonder if the controller had lost track of the fact that
you were IFR to begin with.

Question two: While I wanted on the tapes that IFR cancellation was
received (see last transmission by me), was I truly and properly
cancelled out of the IFR system? Since the frequency was busy, figured
to let sleeping dogs rest, but I wasn't comfortable with the fact that I
didn't hear the buzz words "IFR cancellation received".

I wouldn't be too worried about that. There are a lot of checks for
unclosed flight plans and if they find you before they launch search
and rescue I can't imagine the FAA persuing it.

Question three: Is this worthy of ASR filing? No safety issue by any
means, but there were areas left wide open for miscommunication (I.E. not
getting the airpsace freed up for the next IFR arrival).

It's VERY MUCH WORTY of an ASRS filing. Not just because of the
"Get out of jail free" feature. There is something really non-standard
going on here and checking up on potential safety issues is what
ASRS is really for.

I might even just inquire with the facility QA person as to just
what exactly what is going on.