Old May 5th 05, 12:53 PM
Gary Drescher

"Steve S" wrote in message
How about why is an instructor taking a primary student, he doesn't even
have a pp-asel, up in 200- 1/2 with a 0 temp/dew point spread?

It's not necessarily unreasonable to show a primary student what LIFR is
like, if the student is interested in the experience. (I have a friend who's
a lapsed student pilot who wants to come along sometime when I shoot
approaches in IMC. I'm happy to oblige, and I'm not even a CFI.) The
reported winds were benign, and the reported ceiling and visibility were
adequate for the approach. It should've been easy for a competent instrument
pilot.

But given the low-altitude alert and the apparently continued low altitude
until impact, it seems conceivable that the instructor was actually letting
the student fly the approach, and failed to take control when the plane got
dangerously low.

--Gary