Old February 13th 10, 08:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
terry

Default If all midair collisions were eliminated...

On Feb 13, 12:59*pm, Dave wrote:
OK....

Last summer....

I took up a 17 yr old that had a LOT of time on MS Sim....

He took about 5 min to get the "feel " of the plane...

Then proceeded to NAIL turns to a heading, NO PROBLEM with turns up to
30 degrees bank, had researched the *departures we use here, had
studied the chart, knew where the training areas were (we have 12) ,
KNEW where the CYR was, did a couple of stalls (HEY, the yoke shudders
JUST LIKE my "force feedback stick!")

Kept his head up, looking out, only checking the instruments (did NOT
expect that,- *frankly, I was prepared for him to have his eyes inside
most of the time)

Did pretty good on steep turns too , best was 100 ft loss, 4th 360.

This was this kids FIRST time in a "real" aircraft. And I was
thoroughly impressed.....

Our flight school here *as an extensive sim *dept., (a whole building)
It is a vital part of the training.

You guys can beat up on *MX all you want for what *reasons you wish,
but many of his comments are reasonable and accurate.

*Did you know you can get an instructors cert for ground school
instructing without ever crawling into an aircraft?

And that is where you are dudes, ON THE *GROUND TYPING ON YOUR
COMPUTERS LIKE I AM NOW.

So you guys know "more" about flying than he does? OK... *I have never
recall him ever contesting that. - But until he and you actually step
into a couple of like *aircraft and have at it your superior prowness
as a pilot will never be demonstrated....

In this venue, (on the ground , on this forum etc.) his comments are
measured, ON TOPIC, and *accurate a lot of the time. In comparison,
_some_ *of the posts of others are looking , umm, well, maybe somewhat
silly..... ?

This has been great entertainment tho! *

Some of these posts are a hoot!

Now before you turn the darts toward me, read this again.. *

0 insults.

0 personal attacks.

1 "slight" rant *only..

Maybe an opinion?

Cheers!

Dave

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 13:55:50 -0800 (PST), Frank Whiteley

wrote:
On Feb 12, 11:32*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Surfer! writes:
Have you flown anything other than a PC?

I have only piloted simulators.

... being a passenger in a commercial flight doesn't count ...

Doesn't count for what?

One day, a young prat arrived at the gliderport for a real flight.
He'd logged 1500 hours on a flight simulator. *The pilot couldn't tell
him anything, as he already knew it all about the instruments, stick
and rudder, and flight dynamics. *Puked his guts out within ten
minutes.- Hide quoted text -

Dave
I expressed a similar view of Mxs some years ago, much to my later
embarrassment when I found out what a jerk he really was. Of course
much of what he says is accurate, because he will read stuff straight
out of a book and post it here to try and get an argument going, or to
sound like he actually knows what he is talking about. To get an
idea of his modus operandi, have a read of his first 2 posts in the
impossible turn thread, namely the first sentence in each, and tell me
what you think his motivation for posting is.
Terry
..