Old February 13th 10, 07:55 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default They call it the impossible turn.

terry writes:

My point was that we do passes at 100 feet if we can because at
higher altitudes you cannot be sure the surface is suitable or safe.

If your only engine fails on takeoff, doing passes at 100 feet is not an
option.

To suggest
that a pilot might be making the decision to turn back just because he
is worried about damaging his airplane is nonsense.

It's a very common reason for trying to turn around. In fact, it motivates
many poor decisions. People tend to assume that they'll survive, and then
worry about the cost of damage to the airplane.

A pilot knows with almost certainly that the runway is suitable and
safe to land on, if he can make it thus the temptation to turn back is
strong.

The problem is that he may believe that he can make it, but he can't.

The focus should not be on whether you turn or not , it should be on
maintaining appropriate airspeed at all times until touchdown

Turning is a great way to ensure that you lose the appropriate airspeed.