Old December 25th 03, 05:37 AM
Dudley Henriques

"Mary Shafer" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 01:28:26 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
wrote:

If
and when we get back to everyone arguing about how many rivets there are

in
each square foot of wing on the airplane, call me! :-)

Do we count the rivets down inside the wing, that got pulled out when
we spun the airplane, too?

Mary

I used to know a guy who thought you hadn't over g'd an airplane unless you
broke it. He owned a Globe Swift. Cute little airplane; built like a
fighter. He actually thought it WAS a fighter the way he flew it.
Rolls....spins.....you name it! It was the Snap rolls that got him I
think.....multiple snap rolls at that!!
I never flew it, but I had to move it one afternoon to clear a parking space
for a Bearcat. I started it up and began to taxi it. There were noises
coming out of that thing that would have terrified a sane person, let alone
ME!! :-) After I parked it I tugged on the tips. It was flexing so bad
something HAD to be broken in there. Later we discovered the airplane had
two broken panels inside the wings. Most of the wing was stressed and
twisted; little bits and pieces of metal (AND a full pack of Lucky Strikes)
bouncing all around in there. To my knowledge, after we told him what we had
discovered, he never flew it again. I believe he junked it after he trucked
it off the field.

It's amazing what gets down inside an airplane isn't it? In the old AT6, if
you were giving dual and either the guy in front forgot and left the canopy
cracked open, or you forgot to tell him to close it, on takeoff, every bit
of junk that had accumulated under the floor rails was sucked up and blasted
you in the face :-)

We used to yank the inspection plates once in a while just to see what the
hell was in those dark foreboding places :-) It was sort of like when you
take the cushions off your old stuffed couch and find all sorts of goodies
buried in there.....loose change.......old stale popcorn........that blue
sock you lost five years ago.......and of course a stuffed animal or two!!!!
:-)))
Dudley