Old April 29th 20, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

Default COVID-19 Operational Considerations

On Tuesday, April 28, 2020 at 11:15:01 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I understand in some places usual average death rate is down. Attributed to less motor vehicle accidents, sadly probably also due to less people getting medical care as medical mistakes are one of the top causes of death in Western countries. For evidence of hinkyness in overall corvid death numbers look at the reported pneumonia death average and the recent pneumonia death average. My opinion is this is just a flu with flu like death rates give or take and all sorts of people are jumping up and down to push various agendas. None of which I care about, I just want to fly.

The assertion that this is "just a flu, with flu like death rates" and thus does not merit action is an astoundingly naive and unsophisticated opinion.. Even if the death rate from Covid is as low as seasonal flu (and it might be) the difference in impact is that there is no immunity. So unlike the seasonal flu (where a large portion of the population has immunity either through recovering from the flu or immunization) Covid spreads unfettered through the population, killing 0.1% of 328 million (328,000 deaths over a few months). This condems large numbers of people to essentially dying in the streets since the medical system is overwhelmed. Maybe one of those in-the-street folks is you - you don't even get the opportunity to be successfully treated if you need it - welcome to the Middle Ages.

It is amazing to me how many people seem to see anything that imapacts what they personally want to do as some fifth column conspiracy. Maybe it is the result of watching too much X-Files as a youngster. Population density just by itself reduces the scope of personal liberty.

I want to go flying too; and I think now that we "scramed the reactor" to prevent a meltdown it is time to start finding out what valves we can reopen.. I also believe that soaring club activities are probably on the safer end of the spectrum (compared with concerts, sport events, crowded restuarants, etc.). However, the folks who have to decide what valves to open have a lot bigger fish to fry than our little sport. So I expect it will be a while till we get on the radar.