Old January 13th 05, 08:12 PM

Dan
You'd be surprised at how many pilots can't seem to hold the nose off
on landing with trikes and just let it bang down like they were all
done flying for the moment.
If you continue to use your skills as you describe, you'll end up with
good technique regardless of what you are flying I think.
As for taildraggers, each different type will take a little different
approach in how to land or takeoff. I think most of that is related to
forward visibility in addition to individual skills and experience. For
example, in some very limited visibility aircraft at flare or
touchdown, a wheel landing is easier for both seeing the runway, and to
flare on touchdown. Others can take a much more flat attitude for a
three point landing. Stick a big nose or engine out in front of you and
you'll be using your peripheral vision a lot more during operations
either on the ground or in the air. Biplanes for example are not the
best for visibility either to the front or to the sides with visibility
being restricted by a. engine and cowling, b. overhead and lower wings,
c. flying wires and/or struts.
I'm rather used to looking out both sides for visual clues and forget
the view ahead. Perhaps its just from a lot of experience? That isn't
to say I completely ignore ahead of me...I'm talking about on takeoff
and landings.
Ol S&B (some say just plain ol SOB)