Old February 24th 04, 07:31 PM
303pilot

Airman's info manual didn't have much to offer.
FARs have:
91.119 Minimum safe altitudes; general
a.. Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an
aircraft below the following altitudes;
b.. (a) ·Anywhere. ·An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an
emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the
surface.
§91.3 Responsibility and authority of the pilot in command.

(a) The pilot in command of an aircraft is directly responsible for, and is
the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft.

(b) In an in-flight emergency requiring immediate action, the pilot in
command may deviate from any rule of this part to the extent required to
meet that emergency.

Those are the only things that seem remotely on point (in a quick check
during lunch). Neither suggests any different treatment of ships w/onboard
power vs. ships using external power (sailplanes).

I wasn't able to find any info on what the landowners legal responsibilities
are in the case of an emergency landing that is not also an accident
investigation site.

"Chris OCallaghan" wrote in message
om...
Thought I'd break this subject out of the Landout Laws thread. I have
no opinions to share on this topic, but would like to read yours as
regards off airport landings during cross country flight. However, I
suggest review the FARs and AIM for the FAA's definition of
emergencies, pilot responsibilities, and emergency operations. Most of
this is available online. Search Google for "Airman's Information
Manual Emergency Operations."

I'll look forward to your informed comments.

This has the potential to be a very short thread! ;-)