Old February 28th 04, 04:42 AM
Bruce Hoult

In article ,
"Ivan Kahn" wrote:

then the FAA will rightly take a dim view of any pilot who
routinely put themselves into such a position.

If I understand you, you are advocating not calling it an
"emergency" so the FAA will look on us kindly? IMHO, if the
FAA objected to outlandings, they would do so no matter what
the pilot thought about it.

I do not believe it to be an emergency to begin with. My statement is that
if it were then the FAA would take a dim view of outlanding as a standard
practice since glider pilots would be engaging unsafe practices.

My take on it:

- an outlanding is not in itself an emergency, it is a
routine (though undesired in any particular instance)
fact of flying anything with an unreliable source of
energy.

- being denied the use of a suitable landing area *would*
create an emergency.