Old August 22nd 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
El Maximo

Default GPS jamming

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
Detecting it is one thing, stopping it is quite another kettle of fish.

So tell you what, I'll give you a scenario, you give me your
countermeasures and I'll defend against it.

Your scenario:
CW emitter using a watt of erp semi-isotropic radiation inside of a
"static proof" bag (fairly decent radar stealth shielding at the frequency
in question) in a plastic bucket under a helium weather balloon. Power
source (inside the bag) is a small garden tractor 20 amp-hour battery. A
watt of RF requires about 2 watts of dc power, or about 170 mA from the 12
volt battery. That's roughly 120 hours (5 days) of operation on a
continuously moving target. Do a little winds aloft calculation when
filling your balloon and you can drift them across the country, doing a
wide area blankout for days at a time.

My defense:

EMP (you didn't mention cost ,feasibility, or collateral damage)

Your countermeasures:

????