Old January 12th 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Default Boulder Colorado Wave Forecast?

have found the Colorado State University Atmospheric Sciences Department
does a very good job of forecasting wave in the Boulder area. See:
http://rams.atmos.colostate.edu/realtime/00z/index.php3
Select the cross section for Grid 3 and then the E-W section 6 and then
scroll down to the "W" (vertical velosity) parameter. Anything over 2M/S is
soarable.

That said, the local WX is likely to be very cold for the next few days -
but then you are used to that. If you'd like to see local conditions at
Boulder airport see: http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/ Click on "Foothills
Lab" under "Local Conditions". A webcam shows the area under the approach
to rwy 8 and will usually show lenticulars if they are present.

Bill Daniels

"Paul Remde" wrote in message
Hi,

A good friend of mine has invited me to join him at Mile High Gliding in
Boulder, CO for about 3 days if the forecast looks good for wave. If the
forecast is good I'll fly out sometime between Sunday and Tuesday evening
for 3 days of soaring. Can anyone in that region give me their best
forecast as to when the wave is most likely? I really want to get my Gold
and Diamond altitude badges but I can only afford about 3 days out of the
office as I'm busy getting ready for the SSA Convention. My friend
arrives on Saturday and will call me to give me his best guess on when to
join him - based on feedback from those at the gliderport. He will be
there through Friday. I guess my question is: Should I go during the
early part of the week, or the later part of the week, or does the weather
look bad for the entire week? I'd rather not take the time out of the
office if the outlook is poor.

I've done very little wave flying. What weather systems do you look for?
Here in Minnesota the cumulus soaring is great a day or 2 after a cold
front comes through, but I imagine you are looking for high winds and
stable air.

Of course, I know that it is impossible to predict the wave accurately -
any advice would be appreciated.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.