Old January 14th 07, 07:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gunnar

Default Boulder Colorado Wave Forecast?

Hi Paul,

Here are some more useful links for wave flying at Boulder.

This one is for the local forecast:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/bou/include/...entdir=routine

Not all that great. It'll show you the height of the inversion. Look
for winds out of the west, at 280 degree at about 20 knots or higher at
the 12K level. The inversion level should be between 95000 and 10500
feet. If the direction of flow is above 305 degree or below 245 the
wave will be hard to work. There should be a lee side low trough along
the Colorado-Kansas line. Mostly it's the wind blowing from the west
that counts.

It's usually best if the jet is located north of Boulder. If it's
really howling over head, it's not a lot of fun flying at Boulder,
high west winds on the ground and very ruff rotors.

Here's a great link for The Colorado Front Range, The Sierra Nevada,
The Northern Sierra Nevada, and The Andes of South America. Our Boulder
area forecast only goes out 36 hours.

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/~doyle/li...t/grndjct.html

Go to the Soaring Society of Boulder's webpage at:www.soarbouder.org
for more weather links. Check out CU's weather station on Niwot
Ridge: http://instaar.colorado.edu/tundracam/index.php. Follow the
links to the different weather stations on the ridge. Give the Tundra
cam a try. The state record, 44,100' was set by Jim Munn in his 1-34
just north of Niwot Ridge and west of the Peak to Peak Highway.

John Campbell at Mile High Gliding will help you. The guys at the SSB
are always looking for good diamond wave days, especially now that we
have been dumped on lately by the snow gods. We haven't been able to
fly for the pass two weeks, so there's a lot of pent-up soaring
demand around here.

I feel the need to go up and get knocked around in the rotor. Give me a
call if you like. My phone number is in your customer base or just drop
me a note. I'll get back to you.

Gunnar