Old December 24th 10, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Default SSA Copyright

On Dec 23, 11:44*am, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Dec 23, 11:23*am, Andy wrote:

On Dec 23, 10:24*am, Darryl Ramm wrote:

"related to the sport of soaring" says just that. What does that
*really* mean -- like anything else it's what a court would decide.

You seem to have completely missed the point I was making. *The phrase
"related to the sport of soaring" does not describe the purpose for
which the work may be used. * The phrase "related to the sport of
soaring" describes the type of third part that SSA feels they can pass
the material on to.

Please read it again -

""and to authorize third parties who are engaged in the dissemination
of
information relating to the sport of soaring to reproduce and sell or
distribute freely, such material."

Andy

I do not expect a court would take that to mean that organization then
has rights to sell or allow other use of the copyright material
outside their own normal and reasonable role of dissemination of
information relating to the sport of soaring. But you are granting
rights to that organization to allow them to reproduce and sell or
distribute freely or for charge your material within their role of
dissemination of information relating to the sport of soaring. I do
not read this as allowing a blanket grant to somebody downstream to
sell or distribute freely for any and every possible purpose--
otherwise the agreement would not have included the initial
stipulation. But then the court has the final say.

I think your best options are medication and/or not submitting your
photos to the SSA. :-)

Darryl

Hey Darryl,

Do you really need to resort to personal attacks against me and Andy
when we don't share your opinion? I think that sort of thing is
beneath you, and I don't appreciate it. Lets keep the conversation
civil. As far as reading legal agreements and knowledge of the
subject, my wife is a lawyer and a stock photographer, my dad is a
freelance photographer and journalist, and was the president of ASMP
for several years. He focused a lot of effort during that time on
protecting copyrights for photographers.

Matt