Old August 22nd 03, 08:19 AM
Borislav Deianov

In rec.aviation.homebuilt Snowbird wrote:

Maybe it's just not clear to me but:
1) have you flown this Skybolt? Any Skybolt?

No. Should I? :-)

Seriously - I'm going to fly it as soon as it's flyable again. It's
currently waiting for a new prop.

2) have you called insurance agents, or the insurance for this
partnership, and found out what it will take to have yourself
added?

I have but don't have the answer yet. The agent was supposed to call
me today with the quote but didn't. I'll bug them again tomorrow.

Out of several planes with similar, suitable characteristics,
you might easily find you vastly prefer one or another, for
small details of ergonomics or handling or visibility, which
you just can't tell *until you fly that make and model*.

I understand that. The thing is, it's not like I'm trying to decide
between several similar Skybolt-like types. The airplane I really want
looks nothing like a Skybolt. I'll eventually own what I want but, for
now, I can't afford it. I can, however, afford this share of a
Skybolt. It promises to be a lot of fun to fly, inexpensive to own,
push my limits and teach me a few things.

I'll tell you what's going to happen when I get to fly it. It'll have
the worst visibility of any plane I've been in, it'll be uncomfortable
as hell, I'll have trouble handling it both on the ground and in the
air, but I'll still have a blast and want to buy it. :-)

BUT: I'm still not buying it unless all the details check out. Right
now, a few red flags are going off which make me thing it's more
likely that I won't be buying it. I'll have to wait and see. I'll be
disappointed if it doesn't happen but I've been through that
before. There was a *really* nice Citabria owned by a few members of
my glider club and they wanted to sell another share. The plane looked
great, flew great, and I already had a good relationship with the
partners. On the other hand, it was based a little too far away from
home, it was missing most of the older logbooks (one of the partners
was an A&P and maintained by himself for many years until he passed
away, then the logbooks couldn't be found) and the price for the share
was on the high side. I ended up passing it up. It was difficult but I
think it was the right decision.

re mechanic, have you looked at Ron Wanttaja's homebuilt pages?
There are several Skybolt web pages listed, and one of them,
or one of the people who maintain them, might know of a type club

Yes, I've seen those. Two are at a fairly early stage of construction
and the third only has pictures but I guess I can email them and ask
about a type club.

where you could ask. Also, contact your local EAA chapter, not

Yes, I'll be doing that.

Thanks for the tips,
Boris

Followup-To set to rec.aviation.owning.