Old April 8th 11, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

Default PIK 20 Trailer Axle

Good luck with that; I had to put a new, American-made axle under my
trailer and I have no brakes on the trailer as a result. *One consolation
is that the wheels are 4 inches farther apart and it trails better.

You should have upgraded to electric brakes if you changed your axle
and still wanted brakes without braking the bank. They are superior in
every measurable category except they req a controller installed in
the towing vehicle. You also could have gotten the exact size you
want, since they are sold in every track width and you have the
mounting pads welded at custom locations based on your provided specs.
I like the Torflex axle, it's a torsion type with independent
suspension and makes single axle trailers drive reeeaalll nice, custom
made for a scant $160. Sounds like you had unhelpful people 'helping'
you with your trailer. Glad it sorta worked in your favor at least...

-Paul