Old April 26th 04, 06:15 PM
Dave

I have a Six-300 (70's vintage). the insurance is $1500/year for me,
a pilot with 50 hours in type, 700 Total and Comm/IFR rated. That's
also a hull value of $100K.

I don't find my cruise(about 140 KTAS) to be too slow, given the sheer
size and weight of the plane being propelled by a single 300hp engine.
If I applied some speed mods, new paint, etc. I might get a few more
knots.

Sure, a retract 6(a.k.a. Saratoga/Lance) would be nice and give a
little more. And, a Bonanza would give a lot more, but it's not
nearly as heavy an airframe, nor does it have the space. And, of
course, that's a much bigger insurance burden.

So, to answer your original question, the Archer has been refined and
honed over many years. It's as good a 4 seater as any. The 180hp
engine makes it easy to carry 4 adults and even some bags if you're
not all too heavy. But the Six makes it comfortable to carry 4 full
size adults, lots of bags, and still have room left over (for 2 more!)

Personally, moving from a 140(same cabin as a 180) to the Six was a
huge jump in space. I think the 140/180 fuselage is 40" interior
wide. The Six is 49". Now THAT'S wide. At least that's what she
said....when she got in.

Jeff wrote in message ...
the 6x is actually pretty slow, at least I was disappointed in its cruise
speed in the article I read about it. Also the insurance is ALLOT higher for
it then an archer because of the additional seats.

EDR wrote:

In article , raj
wrote:

I am considering a new Piper Archer - anyone had experience with these
and what have you found?
Is new worth it if you can afford it?

Get a Six X.
More seats, more load, more room, more speed, higher resale.