Old September 28th 03, 03:07 PM
Mark Zivley

One other point related to bottles. With the aluminum and the steel you
can get them hydro tested at the prescribed intervals and they are
basically not a life limited item. The composite bottles have a
specified service life of about 10 years. After the 10ish year life (I
think it's the DOT) says they are to be destroyed. Hopefully this life
expecancy will be extended as they build up a succesful track record.

Bill Daniels wrote:
"Simon Waddell" wrote in message

Christmas is a-comin' etc. and I'm thinking of replacing my old A14

diluter

demand system with a Mountain High EDS system. The A14 hasn't been used

for

years; now I'm living in the mountains I want something I know I can trust

Can I trust the EDS system? Anybody out there got anything good or bad to
say about it? Should I swap my old steel bottle for a new one - if so,
aloominum or kevlar? I like the idea of the canular - is it reliable?

EDS is good, a freshly overhauled A-14 is better.

With a good mask fit, the A-14 will keep your blood oxygen saturation at a
steady 98-99% up to 40,000 feet. It's a safe and solid bit of equipment.
I've never seen anything that good with a nasal cannula. Also there is
cost. I hear that an A-14 can be overhauled for about $350 and the purchase
price of an EDS is three times that.

Below 18,000' a cannula is much more comfortable than the old olive drab
masks, however

Steel bottles are heavy but cheap. Aluminum and kevlar are light but very
expensive. I guess it depends on what the overall W&B of your glider (and
wallet) looks like.

Bill Daniels