Old November 7th 07, 12:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Default Any CAP pilots?

NW_Pilot wrote:

Yea, The only ones that have lasted in the US have been ones that could
afford to keep with the times and technology.

And are willing to work short contract stints.

I work for a super-duper way big company (310,000 employees), and almost
all of our programming is done on a contracting basis. An application
gets ordered, it gets coded as fast as possible by 2000 guys in India,
then the contractors get canned and there's no one to fix or modify the
thing.

One of the big issues today is the move to replace old databases with
SAP, but all the old application SME's that "didn't keep up with the
times" are gone.

Some of the old apps include 30+ years of undocumented work arounds, and
are based on many distributed, custom versions obtained via mergers and
takeovers. These are the basic daily operation systems for the
corporation. The vendors who sold the original applications either no
longer have access to the talent, or they demand way-insane, got ya' by
the short ones, consulting fees to help define the problem to be solved
in SAP.