Old July 21st 08, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

Default quick question -

On Jul 21, 11:06 am, Marty Shapiro
wrote:
george wrote in news:1d794c95-8b8f-49e7-9e3a-
:

On Jul 20, 6:23 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Oh yeah. Obviously! The little engine ones went OK and I even flew an ST
and did some aerobatics in it, which it did farily well compared to
similar airplanes. In Europe they're nicknamed the "tin parachute" for
their ability to settle to earth with the stick fully back at a minimal
rate. The idea being that someone who gets stuck in IMC without the
ability to fly out of it can close the power, pull the stick back and
probably have a better chance than thye would if they continued to push
onwards. The engine out scenario was supposed to be the same. I wouldn't
like to try it, however!

Yup.
I heard the same story about some-one in France lost above cloud who
used that technique.
As I soloed in the Rallye featured in the photo I have a lot of regard
for that particular aeroplane.
As to stability there -was- a private owner who would drop the control
lock over the stick and concentrate on his navigation.

Marty
What are the new Socatta (I think they're called) like to fly?
and do they have lockable slots ?
Used to be quite distracting on a crosscountry for the passengers with
them banging away
.

If by new SOCATAs you mean the Islander series (Tampico, Trinidad, Tobago),
which were the successors to the Rallye, I have never flown one. I
believe they do not have leading edge slats.

I don't have the problem of the slats deploying in cruise unless I hit
moderate or more turbulence or chop. The heavy airframe Rallyes have slat
dampeners, which may also explain why they don't bang when they do
deploy/retract compared to the light airframe models.

I've flown quite a few Angel Flights in the Rallye and just explain the
slats to the passengers as part of my passenger briefing just before take
off and again just before I do my pre-landing check list. So far, it has
not been a problem.

I really love the Rallye, but in many ways I'm glad that I did NOT learn to
fly in one. It lets you get a way with too much that most aircraft won't.
I'm glad I used a Cessna to learn stalls and MCA, where, when I made a
mistake, it was very, very obvious. With the Rallye, you just mush. But
it is a very stable platform and that, coupled with its great visibility,
makes it a pleasure to fly cross country. Again, my point of view is based
on the heavy airframe models, specifically the 235. It might very well be
different for the light airframes, but I don't have any experience with
them.

I wouldn't try that control lock trick in the 4-seaters which have yokes,
not control sticks. The control lock is the tow bar. The rudder "pedals"
are two tubes. The upper tube is the brakes and the lower tube is the
rudder. There is a gap between the upper and lower tubes. The lower tubes
on the pilots side are hollow. You insert the handle of the tow bar into
the lower tubes and then slide a pin through the control column on the
yoke. Not something I'd want to do in flight.

Thanks. These control locks were inserted around the bottom of the
instrument panel and dropped over the LH stick.
My favourite was the metal plate with blocks of wood top and bottom
that you slid between the elevators and tailplane