Old March 8th 10, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Steve Hix[_2_]

Default "Vanishing American Air Superiority"

In article ,
Ed Rasimus wrote:

On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 13:46:34 -0800, Steve Hix
wrote:

In article ,
Ed Rasimus wrote:

But then, Boyd's acolytes seem to have considered that to be the goal.
Guided weapons and any other electronics were useless treason, good only
for funneling money from taxpayers to greedy contractors: the perfect
fighter had an engine, a gun, a pilot and as little else as possible.
(Wasn't a commercial Fuzzbuster assessed as being all the ECM a 'real
fighter' needed?)

We had the wing root wiring for QRC-160 installed in the F-105 in late
'65--early '66. The pods didn't get fielded until October '66. That
was ECM, counter-measures. The RHAW gear for radar detection like a
Fuzzbuster was deployed in F-100F Weasels in '65 and the F-105 force
in spring of '66. It was considerably more sophisticated than
Fuzzbuster. I suspect that tale is urban legend stuff.

The story I've heard was that an AFNG F-4 unit, NVANG seems to have been
mentioned, installed some tweaked civilian radar gear, and used them to
surprise some pilots in war games who thought it would be easy to sneak
up on the Rhinos like they had done in the past.

By the time the NVANG had Rhinos all F-4s were caring RWR gear, APR-46
on most -E models. Digital warning, prioritized threat, software tie
to weapons type, etc.

OK. I can scratch that one off.