Old August 13th 18, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default Flying with Parachutes

On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 1:06:07 PM UTC-5, Retting wrote:
Do not buy a parachute. Do you wear one flying around in your Cessna?
Plus, we do not wear a chute because we fly cross country, we wear a chute to reduce the risk due to gaggle flying.
It is required use by competition rules. The chute then becomes an expensive convenient vetted cushion. Which is why glass pilots are always putting on their chute, even when the sky is filled with chuteless trainers and they are the only chuted one airborne.
You will know, later, when you need a chute.
Risk.....you have a much greater chance of dying driving using your phone.. Driving fast. Eating while driving. Lightning. Gunshot, Crime.
The list goes on.
Yes, I know...Arcus, rudder, bailout....whatever.....he needs to strap on a 1-26 with a sports canopy first.

This is either a poor attempt at sarcasm, or just plain trolling, regardless, it is incorrect on so many levels it's just plain pathetic.

R, is you are capable of doing any basic research, you may be surprised to find that gliding is actually MORE dangerous than all the activities you mentioned. It's more dangerous than flying fighters in combat.

As others have said, we in the US are saddled with a history of training in gliders that pretty much do not permit wearing chutes (2-33s) and as a result have become desensitized to the risk. Just about every other gliding country either mandates or strongly encourages the wear of chutes.

As we move to using more modern trainers, that are designed to be comfortable wearing a chute, it should be a no-brainer; but this being 'Murica I'm not holding my breath - old habits are hard to break.

Kirk