Old September 9th 18, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default Glider Cockpit Safety

On Sunday, September 9, 2018 at 8:18:45 AM UTC-7, Kevin Christner wrote:
I think anyone who has read the "too many deaths" thread has been sobered.. When we take to the air, we are accepting a far greater degree of risk than the vast majority every will. We do it because of the personal satisfaction we receive, which makes our lives brighter as a whole.

But I also wonder whether, as a community, we should be applying pressure to manufacturers to focus more on safety, rather than finding that last .01% of performance, in their new glider designs. I've watched a lot of Formula 1 lately, where 200mph+ crashes are a regular occurrence. More often than not, the drivers walk away without a scratch.

What is to prevent glider cockpits from implementing similar safety designs?

I've seen some older designs after a serious crash where there wasn't much left of the cockpit. Sometimes there's nothing forward of the bulkhead behind the pilot.
....Gerhard Waibel started responding to your request with the ASW24.
Pilots should also participate in their own safety by avoiding loose stuff or pieces protruding into the cockpit that can either injure or just get in the way of egress. Senna was killed by something loose, even though the F1 roll cage held.
Does any glider manufacturer offering engine/motor options also offer a fire extinguisher option?
The ankle/leg injury solution is a tough one. This problem is still evident in "cab-over" trucks and there's much more money behind them.
Jim