View Single Post
Old September 9th 18, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB
external usenet poster

Default Glider Cockpit Safety

On Sunday, September 9, 2018 at 12:56:44 PM UTC-5, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
OK, a couple posts by me since I can't do a multi copy on iPad...

Yes, AS started with crashworthy cockpits with the -24. I was shortly on scene to a Discus(?) crash due to hitting low wires on final.
Result......Canadian pilot with broken ankles/lower legs that a -24 "may" have prevented. He still flies.
Later AS ships have similar cockpit protection. Likely part of their marketing today.
I believe other mfr's do similar now.

Many peeps frown on SGS sailplanes, they (the mfr) knew about this maybe 50 years ago?
Sigh.......now it's a big thing?

Sorta peeves me off.

Yes, cockpit structure can help lessen injuries, that, is a good thing,

If SGS knew about cockpit protection, then they should have extended that knowledge to energy dissipation in the landing gear of the 2-33. Anyone sitting in the backseat of a 2-33 is sitting right over a very rigid structure that will transmit all the energy of a hard landing right into their back. Saw a 2-33 land hard, dropping in from about 4-6 feet (They were still trying to complete a turn from base to final and were literally dragging the wing on the ground!). The instructor was lifted out of the cockpit and carried away on a backboard.