Old June 24th 20, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default My September 2017 visit to GP Gliders

On Tuesday, June 23, 2020 at 10:52:43 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Dear Augustin (please accept my apology if I got the spelling wrong),

In September of 2017, the wife and I visited the factory in Poland, met the people, saw and touched the glider. In 2018, we were in Ostrow for the WGC where a JETA was to compete; due to changes, it was not ready for prime time competition but was available for show and tell. Next, we saw the first USA JETA at the 2020 SSA Convention in Little Rock, Arkansas. The quality of the finish was wonderful. But in the factory's rush to meet USA shipping deadlines to make the Convention, some mistakes were made; these are being fixed with parts finally on the way, thanks to the re-opening of the factory and its suppliers. The Coronavirus has been a BIG NEGATIVE everywhere.

There have been numerous changes and improvements; all of which I welcome.. One of the changes is a lower RPM motor, with a larger propeller and rudder. Yes, those delays, coupled with Coronavirus shutdowns of glider factories, navigation equipment manufacturers, and all other vendors, are a frustration. My controlled excitement won't help the factory resume interviewing construction employees (who left the country looking for work elsewhere). But, I'm a patient man.

Also, EASA changed certification requirements for aircraft over 600 KG. The Germans and French chose to apply these to aircraft weighing less than 600 KG, too. This added an additional six-month delay to all new gliders.

Our USA Representative wrote an article about his flight in the JETA; it is in the November, 2019 edition of SOARING magazine. He is a highly respected and successful competitor. Me? I'm just a Regional Contest pilot with only one National under my overly cautious belt.

We JETA owners, along with interested observers, are all waiting for word from our first USA JETA owner. As a comparison, a friend of mine waited over five years for his new Ventus, so I understand stuff happens; unfortunately yet predictably it showed up with a list of problems, including an engine failure on its first self-launch. With problems now fixed, the owner is joyfully self-launching and flying long tasks. So when my JETA finally gets here, it will provide me with what I want and need in this stage of my flying life. As far as these delays and improvements are concerned, I'll patiently wait; because I'm a positive thinker with skin in the game. So, I'll just keep teaching and waiting for a contest. Selling my LS6-BWL, with its disk brake conversion and winglets, will have to wait for prices to return to normal.

Raul

This sounds like putting lipstick on a pig: have any GP-15's been delivered to the US that have received airworthiness certificates? If so, how many?

Tom