Old November 20th 18, 12:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

Default My September 2017 visit to GP Gliders

At 15:56 19 November 2018, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Why would a glider "up set for Seb" be "tricky" and define "tricky"

please.
Thank you.

When Seb did a seminar in the UK I asked him where he set his C of G. His
answer: "as far back as the manufacturer allows, and then a bit more".

His thinking is that, in this configuration the glider, will soak up energy
from gusts better but it does make the glider much harder to fly in tight
thermals. If you are Seb, that doesn't matter.

As technical consultant to GP, I would expect that he wants the glider set
up to optimise this aspect of performance and will make compromises on
handling as a result.

Only my guess. He may be advising them to make compromises in performance
instead....

Jim