Thread: wing tape
View Single Post
Old May 3rd 14, 07:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default wing tape

"on non-planar intersections (Nimbus 3 wing to fuselage joint), wider is not always better"

You got that right Steve! We got some one inch wide tape for the club gliders last year. With the Grobs the wider tape just made things more difficult..

Wide tape is great for gliders which have a wing root fillet as part of the fuselage so the tape can just be laid flat over the gap - my ASW-15 is like this. I would imagine that except for the trailing edge area the ASW-12 is pretty much the same. I really don't need the ease of stretching and bending the tape around difficult areas but I still like the 483 because it seems to leave much less residue and grips enough to be secure but not so tenaciously that it's difficult to remove at the end of the day. The tape residue problem is in my mind now because I've been slaving away at the annual polishing of the club gliders and I've spent a LOT of time getting year old residue off the gap areas.

I think I'll give the Bowlus tape a try the next time I have to get something from Cumulus. It seems people find it to be as good as the 483 and it's certainly a lot cheaper.