Old July 21st 08, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Marty Shapiro

Default Initial Contact Question

blackboxman wrote in news:eb975830-fc1b-4727-
:

I know this is an IFR forum but your opinion is appreciated.

Scenario: you are receiving VFR flight following and are handed off to
another controller. You call up the new controller to make initial
contact. According to a controller I overheard yesterday, this callup
is incorrect:

"Name Center, Cessna 12345, five thousand five hundred."

This controller told every single pilot who checked in this way that
they were to state that they were VFR.

"Name Center, Cessna 12345, five thousand five hundred, VFR."

Is this new? It was news to everyone who got "the lesson" from this
controller. Thanks.

Ethan

I was taught to say name facility aircraft "level" current altitude
or name facility aircraft current altitude "climbing|descending"
final altitude. Once you put the "500" in your final altitude, that
should tell the controller you are VFR. I've never had a problem or been
questioned about it by ATC.

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.