Old November 6th 03, 06:02 PM
Mark James Boyd

| Is it possible to make a retract gear metal glider with
| flush rivets and a carry-through spar which would give
| 40:1 ratio, or is metal just a substance that won't
| allow the shapes or fine tolerances needed to make such
| a wing?

From talking to some other pilots, there seem to be other
disadvantages too: metal wings don't flex well so
rivets will pop on long wings with high load, constructing
long thin wings is much more challenging using metal,
construction time and creating the optimal wing shape
or more difficult with metal.

I think I brought this up because I've liked the 1-26 for
it's short wings (for landing out) and lack of struts and
the fact we can leave it out in the weather. Of course
it's glide ratio and high speed glide are poor, compared
to modern ships.

For me, because I weigh 150#, long heavy wings are not so
interesting. A Pegasus or PW-5 is really nice, but the
high speed polar could use some improvement (flaps?) and
even easier assembly would be cool.

The APIS FAI may be just the ticket for this. Very light
(so I imagine the wings are light for assembly), short
wingspan, and ailerflaps (flaplerlons?) are a great start.
I just wonder what the 80knot sink is with that draggy
wheel sticking out the bottom like the PW-5, and at
the lower weight with a 150# pilot...I haven't yet
found an APIS polar anywhere...