Old April 27th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default a couple of questions...

Talk to them on the way in if the frequency is not busy..
Tell them what you want to do... they'll assist.

BT

"GE" wrote in message
Let me start by saying that I consider myself a new pilot, although I've
had my certificate for 2 years and a little over a 100 hours. I had to
take some time off from flying when my plane was damaged by my partner,
then totaled by Katrina. (I've made a few posts with regards to the
above.) Anyway, I am back flying again, so please indulge a question or
two.

I know this is somewhat backward from most people, but I did my training
and most of my flying from a controlled field. It's actually a class D
situated inside of a class C. Uncontrolled fields are a little foreign to
me. I am flying tomorrow to see a friend. The field is class E, but
situated inside of a TRSA. Getting in and out doesn't bother me, I'm okay
with that. The issue is that my friend wants me to take him on a local
sightseeing trip. No problem, I've got a map and a GPS, I can navigate. My
problem is that I don't know what to tell the TRSA guys once I get
airborne. What do I say? Do I tell them an area I want to fly to, or just
a general direction? Also, there is a larger commercial airport nearby
(still class E). Of course I want to avoid that airport, but what's the
best way? Should I just plot a course around it or will they want to
vector me? Any other help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help...