Old May 5th 04, 09:36 AM
Tim Newport-Peace

In article , Joe
Allbritten writes
Derrick, Sam, Tim, Others
Thanks for the reply.
The reasons I think I need 14VDC a
1.) That is what I received with the glider when I purchased it 2
years ago. ( 12 +2)
2.) The radio spec sheet calls for 14 VDC. It even states if you put
this in a 28VDC aircraft, purchase the 28 to 14 VDC converter. The
radio is a IImorrow Apollo 704. I am afraid to try 12VDC without
consulting directly with the manufacturer. Reason being that if the
voltage is below what it is designed for, some electrical/electronic
parts will increase the current draw (amps). Excessive current loads
can very damaging to electrical/electronic devices. I know it will
burn up motors etc.. but not completely sure about electronics. (I
am certianly not an electronic Engineer)

Joe

Not sure about FAA but as I recall, CAA require a radio to operate down
to at least 10.5 on 121.500MHz before approval will be granted. A modern
radio will do this on all frequencies. You are not going to fry your
radio just because the supply is slightly low, but you could do this if
the volts are too high (hence the 28/14 converter).

Tim Newport-Peace

"May you be cursed with a chronic anxiety about the weather."

John Burroughs (1837-1921).