Old June 21st 05, 08:45 PM
Stefan

M B wrote:

I recently had a student do some spin training with
me
and was happy to see him seek it out before flying
a very tautly spinning single-seater.

We ask it from ours before transitioning them to the first single seater.

I might have this out of context. Please elucidate.
Spiral and spin recovery actions are quite differently
spelled out in our US manuals.

Luckily, gliders cannot read. :-) Recovering from a developed spin is
certainly different from recovering from a developed spiral dive. But at
the early stage, when the glider just drops a wing and pitches forward,
your neither in a spiral nor in a spin yet. At this early stage,
corrective action is quite simple: Immediately stick forward and
opposite rudder. In most cases, this will do the trick just fine, and
you won't even know whether it would have developed into a spiral or a
spin. If a spin or spiral develops, you're in a different situation, of
course.

I do not plan to teach spins with the engine extended
in contravention to a flight manual, such as the DG500MB,
paragraph 2.9

Dropping a wing with the engine extended is part of our "club syllabus"
for transitioning to the DG505M/22m. If you have never done it, it's a
real eye opener how aggessively the wing will drop. Of course, we don't
let the spin develop but take immediate action. (The glider will recover
after about a quarter of a turn.)

Try it! You don't need to cross the controls, just pitch up with the
engine running until the glider ceases to fly. It *will* drop a wing
then, you have no chance to hold it with the rudder. As I said, an eye
opener.

Stefan