Old May 31st 07, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gary

Default Continental E-225-4 question

Your question is a little short on details so my response will be
general at best. This is a spline shaft engine limiting your choice
of prop to Hartzell models which are either AD ridden or expensive.
There are only 2 accessory pads, requiring the use of a "T-drive" to
gain a third pad and a second "T-drive" to gain a fourth. "T-drives"
are made of pure unobtainium and aren't cheap. The starter is either
going to be an Eclipse E80 or a Delco direct drive. Both have
planetary gear sets and cost plenty to overhaul. Generators in the
35A range are the typical producers of power with the Skytronics 6550
50A alternator being the ONLY modern alternative. These engines run
hot! Compare the E series cylinder fin density to your typical IO-470
angle-valve cylinders and you can see why.
The cylinders WILL NOT MAKE TBO. (flame away) But I know from
personal flight experience and from friends with E185/205 and E225
engines that the compression readings fall well below 60/80 after
about 400-600hrs. Run it lean and hot and you won't make it that
long. The stock carb is a PS-5C Bendix pressure carb, essentially a
throttle-body fuel injection. These require 10-15psi fuel pressure
and must have a vapor/fuel return to the tank. This complicates fuel
tank switching and eats up one of the accessory pads for the fuel
pump. Engine mounts for the -4 aren't like any other more modern
Continental large bore engines. A swap out to an IO470/IO520 will
undoubtedly require a new engine mount.

Good points? Light weight, smooth running.

For an original design airplane or homebuilt I would not recommend
using one of these engines. When my cache of support parts are
consumed or my Hartzell prop requires replacement I will be swapping
my E series engine out for something more modern.

Good luck,
Gary Plewa AP/IA

On May 30, 6:05 pm, "Jim Carter" wrote:
TTE: 2135
SMOH: 1316
STOH: 16

I realize this is an OLD engine model that will probably have to be switched
to an IO-470 or IO-520, but given these numbers and if it has had no really
long periods of idle time, would you be worried beyond reasonable doubt
about getting another 300 to 500 hours out of it? (also assuming
compressions are still good).

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas