Old May 31st 07, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Frank Stutzman[_2_]

Default Continental E-225-4 question

Gary wrote:
Your question is a little short on details so my response will be
general at best. This is a spline shaft engine limiting your choice
of prop to Hartzell models which are either AD ridden or expensive.

Well, there is the Beech electric prop as well. However considering that
pitch change bearings are non-existant, I doubt thats any better.
On a Bonanza, the Beech prop with 88 inch blades is considered by many to
give the best performance.

There are only 2 accessory pads, requiring the use of a "T-drive" to
gain a third pad and a second "T-drive" to gain a fourth. "T-drives"
are made of pure unobtainium and aren't cheap.

Not all Hartzels require a T-drive, but you probably want one that does.
The Hartzel 12v20-7E on my Bonanza does not have a T-drive. Its
variable pitch, but not constant speed. A decidedly weird prop. I've
been told that if I ever part the plane out, the Beechcraft Museum
would like my prop. Now doesn't that generate warm fuzzies ;-).

The starter is either
going to be an Eclipse E80 or a Delco direct drive. Both have
planetary gear sets and cost plenty to overhaul.

I've no experiance with the Delco and I've not overhauled my Eclipse
but I've been told that the Eclipse is way bigger than is needed for
the E-225. It is apparently somewhat common on larger radials.
Maybe it won't need to be overhauled very often? Dunno.

These engines run
hot! Compare the E series cylinder fin density to your typical IO-470
angle-valve cylinders and you can see why.

Well, they certainly *can* run hot and mine certainly has gotten hotter
than I like. Dilligent use of an engine monitor and much tinkering with
my baffling has allowed me to usually keep all the temperatures under
380. Note the 'usually' weasel words.

The cylinders WILL NOT MAKE TBO. (flame away) But I know from
personal flight experience and from friends with E185/205 and E225
engines that the compression readings fall well below 60/80 after
about 400-600hrs. Run it lean and hot and you won't make it that
long.

I'm comming up on 550 hours and so far I'm ok. Everything above 60,
but maybe not by much. Hmmm, walnut desk top knockknock. For the
past 200 hours have been running it lean of peak. I can get it to
only about 20 LOP. I can get it a smidge more by playing with
the carb heat, but it certainly takes a little fiddling.

Good points? Light weight, smooth running.

Pretty economical to operate as well. I flight plan for 10 gph
burning mogas. Airport wags have warned me that the mogas will
destroy the rubber in the carb, but I've had no problems there.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"