Old January 24th 04, 07:42 PM

Default Ice go /no go advice...

I'm new to flying IFR.I have about 5 hours actual, but this morning
was going to be my first IFR flight without a safety pilot.

CRQ to SBP

I'm flying a C172RG

The weather forecast:

Cloud bases vary from 1500 to 6000 ft over the route.

Rain reported all over the region.,.

Freezing level (From winds aloft) between 6000 and 9000

No icing airmets or sigmets for the route.

No Pireps availible.

MEA 6000 ft with one 16mile segment of 6400 ft.

Now three hours after I cancled I review the weather, there are two
pireps availible with light rime ice at 9000 ft.

Still no airmets or sigmets.

This was a very close decision for me, and I opted for the No-Go.
I also releaized that I don't feel I know enoguh about making this
decision.

How do the rest of you make the "Ice" decision.

What are your rules?

Any guidance on making this decision would be helpful.