Old December 13th 16, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default JS3 chatter

On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 8:00:40 AM UTC-8, wrote:
New panel and cockpit pictures posted on Facebook.

Some things I notice:

Eyeball vent on the side of the cockpit is gone. We are back to the little flip out vent in the sliding window?

The cockpit extraction vent on the fuselage behind the pilot’s head is gone. In one of the photos there is something on the bottom of the fuselage just in front of the gear doors – has the vent been relocated there?

Due to the nose up attitude, on the takeoff roll it will be hard to see the towplane, and after landing it will be hard to see the runway. True, those are only a few seconds on each flight, but those are important seconds.

Maybe it is an optical illusion, but the canopy appears “squished” – from the side, the curve of the canopy appears flatter than the contour of the fuselage. Less headroom.

Wing shape appears almost identical to the one on the 18 meter version. It fact, without knowing better, I would think that this is just the 18m wing on a new fuselage.

Tail appears substantially higher than on the JS1B -- more like the tail on the JS1A. This might improve handling, but wouldn't it increase drag?