Old November 5th 03, 11:22 AM
W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).

I am not an experienced winch driver, in fact I have not done it for years.
I was relating the lessons learned from others.

As to how far away from the winch you should stand or park when not in the
cab, I suggest you ask Bicester or Dick Stratton, he knows more than most
and is the depository of all knowledge relating to winching.

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

"Martin Gregorie" wrote in message

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 04:17:33 -0000, "W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\)."
wrote:

A winch should never have any doors or windows open while actually
launching.

"Martin Gregorie" wrote in message

snip

Climate control: there is a diesel burning heater for winter and the
sliding doors open in summer.

Couldn't agree more. I should have added "..doors open between
launches".

I always stay in the cable truck during launches as well, with it
parked 10 metres away and 45 degrees back and to the side. Bill, I
take your point about broken cable strikes on other vehicles. In your
experience is parking where I significantly better than behind the
winch? Is there an optimum place?

Language note: 'Shag vehicle' has an entirely different meaning in the
UK. Lets just say that towing things doesn't come into the frame and a
large back seat would be fitted.

Martin Gregorie